While our comrades are fighting in the southern wilderness to fend off the Nubians, our task at Sawu is to build an international harbour from scratch (literally), and make as much debens as we can to finance our army at the frontline. So, this city has to be rich. Very rich.
What is unlike Iken is that Sawu is quite peaceful. Although sometimes a few barbarians or pirates do appear at the corners, they can be easily swept away by a company of infantry or a few battleships. What is like Iken is that the ferry traffic is similarly tricky at Sawu, which may annoy a few of us, but with some proper arrangement that should not cause much problem.
With the target of a crazily rich Sawu, my objectives are:
1. Difficulty : Hard
2. Population target : 15000+
3. At least 16 palatial estates
4. Up to 97% population should get food, basic health and religious services
5. People should love me (eventually)
I will share my town planning concepts at a forum thread, wish that would help.
After ~25 years of development, here are my results
- Final population : 18500~20000
- Noble population : 26 palatial estates + 2 modest estates. Housing ~25% of the population.
This is somewhat lower than my usual planning of 30%~33% noble population. One reason of keeping a relatively large worker population is that I would like to keep the large manufacturing industry running, and another reason is that food production at Sawu - meadow farming and fishing - are both much more labour intensive than the usual flood plain farming.
- Unemployment rate : 0%~1%
- Economy : Taxing at 10% and paying 60db/month. Sawu itself can run a very lucrative industrial sector. With proper management and city planning, max import of raw material and max export of goods can be easily achieved. Not to mention the money farm at the palatial estates. The first million has been reached at ~20 years.
- Industry : Even after fulfilling the maintenance amount of goods for the estates, with the help of Bast miracles and Ptah temple complex, there are still some surplus of papyrus and linen for sale. Not to mention the major exports of copper, bricks and pottery, which supported the early phase of the city development.
I am sharing my Sawu design for download, and wish you would like it. To win you just complete the weapon burial provision with the city storage.
However, please note that in a few years time from the save there will be retirement problem. To play on you may need to "shuffle" the worker population.