Sauty from the New Kingdom, played on Easy difficulty. Some key points:
* The extortion to Rowarty is continually paid throughout the mission. As a result, there are no distant battles, nor any other triggered based events.
* The army present in the map was only used to soak up unemployment, as well as protect the monuments from grave robbers (introduced due to Cleopatra)
* The monuments are placed towards the West of the city to provide enough space to reach the required population. One of the monuments was placed on the center island to provide additional space.
* All trade routes were opened to import the required materials. In hindsight, the Men-nefer trade route could have been ignored: however, meat imports could not satisfy 3 housing blocks, so Men-nefer was opened for Chickpeas.
* A Dynasty Mansion was placed to raise the Kingdom rating, as I think there's a bug where giving into Rowarty's demands was lowering my KR a little bit without a message saying that it had happened.
I found this mission surprisingly easy when I gave into the demands of Rowarty. As a note of interest, if you accept the extortion, Rowarty asks for about 2500 db: giving the money loops back to an extortion. As long as you have money coming in (either from taxation or exports (luxury goods or linen)), the requests of money can be complied with indefinitely: the scripted events for closing down Bubastis and sending troops to various cities will only occur if you ignore Rowarty's demands. Along with that, nothing whatsoever happens if you comply with the requests to Rowarty: no trade routes close down, you don't get invaded by an upset Egyptian city, not even a drop in KR. Seems a bit like a loophole but there you go...
As stated above, the forts were placed only for stopping tomb robbers: if a user planned to continue playing, they could be used to fulfil the distant battle requests.
* Sauty 1: Just after building the first housing block, around the time I got the first "demand" from Rowarty for cash
* Sauty 2: First pyramid almost complete, city expanded across river, second pyramid under construction on center island.
* Sauty 3: Center pyramid complete, construction started on pyramid 3, city expanded as far as possible.
* Sauty End: All goals reached, just let game run to complete the mission.